Wednesday, March 09, 2005

CT/PET Leads to More Accurate Radiation Therapy....Maybe?

In the article below, a rather small study in Europe suggests that combined CT/PET scans can reduce the amount of radiation exposure to normal tissue. While this is true, what they don't discuss is that we may be missing microscopic disease by focusing down to only the hot spots detected on the PET. Don't get me wrong, PET/CT has definitely helped our planning abilities with lung cancer but we still need to take into consideration microscopic extension that is undetectable by PET.

Combining PET and CT scans leads to more accurate radiation therapy for lung cancer patients

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about pet loss. I have a website about pet loss which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!