Monday, May 02, 2005

Up for Air

I would like to apologize for the lack of posts here as of late. Preparing for this year's Relay for Life had literally sucked the life out of me. Now that it is over I hope to get back to blogging on the issues of the day.

Speaking of the Relay, while it was a huge fundraising success, the event left much to live for. As usual, we were deluged with heavy storms while setting up. Something about setting up a tent while it was beginning to thunder and storm just didn't seem very wise. I was beginning to wonder if the hospital would still cover my salary for the day if I got struck by lightening. Thankfully, the rain stopped before the event begin and didn't return until about 5 the next morning when it begin to fall from the sky like the day's of Noah. Needless to say they called the whole event around 5:30. Of course, there were only about 10 people left at the whole event so I'd say that had something to do with it.

The American Cancer Society (ACS) has killed this event in our city by splitting it into 5 separate events according to what region of the county you live. There just aren't enough teams to carry the event throughout the night. A good majority of the teams pack it up after the luminary ceremony and that just leaves a few of the hard core campers. Without enough teams, there isn't even enough people to hold the events scheduled throughout the night. In addition, the poor planning and organizational skills of the ACS committee only added to the demise of this year's event. But, I digress...

No comments: